Mercedes-Benz is developing its own operating system, called MB.OS, which will be used in all of its vehicles starting in 2024. MB.OS is based on Linux and is designed to be more flexible, scalable, and secure than the current operating systems used by Mercedes-Benz. It will also be able to receive over-the-air updates, which will allow Mercedes-Benz to improve the functionality of its vehicles over time.
MB.OS is a key part of Mercedes-Benz’s transformation to a “software-defined car”. The company believes that software will play an increasingly important role in the future of automotive, and MB.OS is essential to its ability to deliver innovative and personalized experiences to its customers.
- Flexibility: MB.OS is designed to be flexible enough to be used in a variety of vehicles, from small cars to large SUVs. It is also designed to be scalable, so that it can be used in vehicles with different levels of complexity.
- Security: MB.OS is designed to be secure against cyberattacks. It uses a number of security features, such as encryption and authentication, to protect the data and systems in the vehicle.
- Over-the-air updates: MB.OS will be able to receive over-the-air updates. This means that Mercedes-Benz will be able to improve the functionality of its vehicles over time without requiring customers to take their vehicles to the dealership.
- A more intuitive user interface
- Enhanced connectivity
- Improved artificial intelligence
- ADAS: Advanced driver-assistance systems
MB.OS is a significant development for Mercedes-Benz and the automotive industry as a whole. It is a sign of the growing importance of software in the automotive industry, and it is likely to have a major impact on the way cars are designed, developed, and used in the future.
MB.OS will be set against an already established market full of competitors, some using generic OS, like Android Automotive, Android Auto, Apple CarPlay and CentOS Automotive , tuned for automative industry, while some other manufacturers like Tesla have their own custom OS like Tesla OS.
The automotive operating system market is still in its early stages of development, and it is likely to be a very competitive market in the years to come. The companies that are able to develop the most innovative and user-friendly operating systems are likely to be the most successful in this market.
MB.OS is still under development, but it is clear that it has the potential to revolutionize the automotive industry. It is a key part of Mercedes-Benz’s vision for the future of mobility, and it is sure to play a major role in the way we drive in the years to come.